Storm triggers more than 1,800 emergency callouts in Lithuania

Sunday 23rd August 2026 on 07:15 in Lithuania

Fire and rescue, lithuania, storms

Lithuanian firefighters responded to more than 1,800 storm-related callouts from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning, the country’s Fire Protection and Rescue Department said, according to LRT. The department described the past 24 hours as the busiest period for clearing storm damage in the past two decades.

Most callouts involved trees that had fallen onto roads. Firefighters were dispatched about 100 times to remove trees that had fallen on cars, while around 100 reports concerned damaged buildings. In nearly 50 cases, trees had fallen onto electricity infrastructure.

Although the storm began weakening on Saturday evening, rescue crews continued working overnight. Their operations were scaled back because of the dangers posed by darkness and were limited to locations where they could ensure their safety or where an incident threatened someone’s life or health, said Jolita Orientaitė, head of the department’s Communications Division.

Most of the more than 1,800 callouts were received before 10 p.m. on Saturday. The number began rising again at about 7 a.m. on Sunday, even though weather conditions had stabilised. The department warned that many calls related to storm damage are usually received on the following day, as people returning home notice fallen trees and other hazards.

Firefighters worked across all regions of Lithuania on Saturday. Kaunas County recorded the most callouts, with nearly 500, accounting for more than a quarter of the total. Vilnius, Utena and Alytus counties also required extensive assistance.

About 256,000 residents lost power during Saturday’s storm. In Anykščiai District, a person died after being trapped under a fallen tree while fishing near a private pond, Orientaitė said.

Dozens of events were also cancelled because of the dangerous weather, including town festivals in Jurbarkas, Akmenė and Pagėgiai, as well as festivals that had been held for decades. Organisers said they had suffered significant losses and would need to renegotiate with performers because the planned shows did not take place.

Source 
(via LRT)