Lithuanian PM defends dismissal of registry chief after massive data breach

Friday 29th May 2026 on 13:45 in Lithuania

data breach, government, lithuania

Lithuanian Prime Minister Inga Ruginienė has stated that the decision to dismiss the head of the Centre of Registers (RC) following a major data theft was justified, as emerging evidence points to the institution’s responsibility, LRT reports.

Adrijus Jusas, the former director of the RC, resigned on Monday after it was revealed that personal data of 600,000 individuals—including Ruginienė’s own family—had been stolen. Speaking in Akmenė District on Friday, the prime minister confirmed she learned of the breach affecting her family on Tuesday.

“I received only preliminary information about the incident at first,” Ruginienė said. “Back in early April, no one knew the scale or details of what had happened. That’s why the investigation was especially crucial. It’s still ongoing—a complex process involving an unprecedented data theft. I fully understand the concerns of every Lithuanian citizen because I went through the same checks with my family to see if our data was accessed.”

Ruginienė acknowledged that new details continue to emerge but stressed that authorities initially withheld information to avoid compromising the probe. “The tactic chosen was focused on the investigation and uncovering the crime,” she said.

Responding to criticism from President Gitanas Nausėda, who accused officials of attempting to “sweep the scandal under the rug,” Ruginienė insisted transparency would come once the investigation concludes. “All new evidence confirms the RC’s responsibility, which justifies the decision to dismiss its leader,” she said.

Jusas left his post voluntarily and did not receive severance pay, according to earlier reports. Giedrius Cininas, head of the RC’s Prevention Department, is currently serving as acting director.

President Nausėda had argued that the public should have been informed immediately, calling the delay “additional harm.” The Prosecutor General’s Office defended the secrecy, stating that early disclosure could have obstructed procedural steps or evidence collection. The pre-trial investigation began on April 15, the same day the breach was reported internally, though media first revealed the incident on May 22.

Source 
(via LRT)