Egyptian woman assaulted on Kaunas trolleybus, suspect sought
Monday 17th August 2026 on 15:30 in
Lithuania
An Egyptian woman was assaulted on a trolleybus in Kaunas on Saturday evening, and an investigation into a possible breach of public order has been opened, LRT reported.
The woman was reportedly struck once during a conflict at about 10 p.m. on August 15. The suspect has not yet been identified.
Milda Rimkė, a representative of the Kaunas District Prosecutor’s Office, said investigators were examining the case under Article 284 of Lithuania’s Criminal Code, which concerns a possible breach of public order. She said there was currently no information indicating that the conflict was related to the woman’s nationality.
Monika Mociūnaitė, a representative of Kauno autobusai, the city’s public transport operator, confirmed that the incident occurred as a number 12 trolleybus was travelling along Šiaurės Avenue. She said a person was injured but declined to provide further details because of the ongoing pre-trial investigation.
Only a few passengers were on the trolleybus at the time. After the incident, the driver stopped at a bus stop and exited the vehicle, followed by the passengers. Mociūnaitė said the driver did not call the emergency number 112 because passengers had already reported the incident and emergency services were on their way.