Latvia says shot-down drone entered from Belarus
Latvia’s Defence Minister Raivis Melnis told Latvian Television, as reported by LSM, that the unmanned aircraft shot down in Balvi Municipality on Friday had entered Latvian territory from Belarus. Drone debris has been found in the municipality, and experts are continuing to examine it. Its origin has not yet been officially specified.
Melnis said Latvia would continue shooting down unmanned aircraft that enter its territory, describing the measure as necessary to protect residents and their property.
“The risks of drones entering [Latvia] exist. Ukraine, defending itself, continues to carry out strikes on Russian territory with drones, while Russia is taking countermeasures,” Melnis said.
Counter-drone equipment to be expanded by September
A NATO fighter also shot down a drone last week. Melnis said the measure was effective but expensive.
He acknowledged that Latvia currently does not have enough counter-drone systems and radars along its state border. However, he reiterated a plan to deploy Latvian-made equipment along the entire border with Russia and Belarus by the end of September.
“We are moving according to plan. Today I will meet representatives of the National Armed Forces, review the current situation and assess whether any adjustments to the plan are needed,” Melnis said.
Minister denies negligence in previous purchases
Prime Minister Andris Kulbergs of the United List drew attention last week to claims that Latvia had “forgotten” to buy the necessary munitions for previously acquired counter-drone systems.
Former Defence Minister Andris Sprūds of the Progressives called the claim disinformation. He said it concerned interceptor drones made by the Latvian company Origin Robotics, which began testing and purchasing them in late 2025.
According to Sprūds, explosives must be added to fully integrate the drones into Latvia’s air defence. He said two approaches had been selected: involving the National Armed Forces in planning how to use existing explosives, while also seeking international supplies that comply with NATO standards.
Asked whether there had been shortcomings in the purchases, Melnis confirmed that warheads had not been bought for the drone interceptors.