Lithuanian parliamentary committee rejects candidate for genocide research centre director

Monday 8th June 2026 on 12:45 in Lithuania

history, lithuania, politics

A Lithuanian parliamentary committee has voted against approving Donata Kabelkė as director-general of the Lithuanian Genocide and Resistance Research Centre (LGGRTC), state news agency ELTA reports.

The Seimas Committee on Freedom Struggles and Historical Memory voted 2 in favour, 5 abstentions, and 1 against during its June 8 session. The candidacy will now proceed to the Seimas Human Rights Committee for further consideration on June 10.

During the hearing, Kabelkė faced questions about the centre’s role in countering information warfare threats and its stance on historically sensitive topics. Vytautas Sinica, a member of the Mixed Group of Seimas Members, asked whether the centre should take clear positions on issues frequently targeted by disinformation—particularly those concerning Lithuania’s resistance history.

Kabelkė stated her priority would be to strengthen public awareness of the freedom struggles through broader engagement. “Our goal is to explain, tell, and disseminate this history as widely as possible,” she said, emphasising the need to deepen understanding of Lithuania’s totalitarian past without altering its established historical identity.

She also highlighted plans to improve access to the centre’s archival data by digitising records and enhancing data protection against external threats. “Digitisation is crucial not only for accessibility but also for safeguarding information in extreme scenarios,” Kabelkė noted, citing risks posed by “hostile neighbouring states.”

When pressed to name her top priority if appointed, she identified the methodological search for partisan burial sites as most urgent. “We owe a debt to those who fought for our freedom,” she told the committee. “The least we can do is account for their numbers and locate where they may be buried.”

Kabelkė’s candidacy was formally submitted to the Seimas last week by Speaker Juozas Olekas, who described her as having presented a “clear vision” for the centre and sufficient professional experience. However, Olekas acknowledged differing opinions among lawmakers, with further consultations planned with parliamentary factions.

The LGGRTC’s governing board nominated Kabelkė in late April, following support from seven of its members. She currently heads the Cultural Heritage Protection Division at Vilnius City Municipality. Two other candidates—incumbant director Arūnas Bubnys and Tuskulėnai Memorial Complex head Dovilė Lauraitienė—also competed for the position.

Source 
(via LRT)